May 2, 2011

Since stumbling upon the news of the death of Osama Bin Laden, I've been wandering around the Facebook (and general internet) world, partly to be distracted from all of my conflicting emotions, and partly to observe what, and how, others were reacting to the news.

For many it turned political immediately, and I played into that a little bit with a dig at my (still) favorite Republican target and scapegoat, dubya, by referencing his now infamous "mission accomplished" banner eight years ago, ironically enough, to the day. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy that this happened on MY President's watch rather that his predecessor. But even as those words come out of my mouth (so to speak) here, I am sickened and embarrassed that "happy" even made it into that sentence.

The debates will continue. So will the celebrations. I, for one, can't wrap myself up in a flag tonight and party in the streets - - but I sure as heck understand why those who've experienced a loss directly related to Bin Laden can. Am I glad my children and grandchildren will grow up in a world without Bin Laden in it? Yes. Do I condone violence, war, or killing? No. So, all of tonight's wandering and reading has left me no-less conflicted than when I first started, but here's what it boils down to, for me:

I believe the God I follow rejoices with His/Her children's triumphs, cries with their heartaches, and grieves for their lost souls ("lost" as in "no direction"; NOT as in "not saved & thereby going to hell"), and I believe that God can do all of that at the same time.

I believe God is meeting people in their rejoicing tonight has as he met them in their heartache on that fall day in 2001.

I believe God loves us all - yes, even Osama Bin Laden - and that God wants us to try to do that as well.

I believe that God calls us all to be a people of peace.

So, I'm left where I started - wondering how I feel about all of this. It's not any clearer now than when I first heard the news earlier tonight. And maybe, that's as good as it will get for me on this one.

No comments: