August 25, 2006

The DaVinci Code

Just finished reading The DaVinci Code tonight. I was supposed to be reading it with my husband before we go to see the movie, but I got really into it, and he got really sick with a chest cold, so, subsequently, I was up until 1:00 0r 2:00 each night (morning?) reading while he happily rested in his Nyquil-induced slumber. I finished tonight and he, well, he's got a lot of reading to do in the next week!

TDC was not a book I would typically pick for myself. I'm not really that into mysteries and/or thrillers, but my husband read the prequel, Angels and Demons, and that really jazzed him for the movie version of "DaVinci". I, too, had some interest in the movie, but I try to always read the book first, so we just decided to read it together - a two person book club kinda thing. Much to my surprise, I simply couldn't put the thing down! It was absolutely riveting. I told my husband tonight that I cannot remember the last time I read a book that I couldn't wait to turn the page because I felt like I absolutely HAD to know what was going to happen next. I'd love a two hour conversation with Dan Brown, just regarding his research for this book. I bet it would be fascinating.

Anyway, it was a really good read...and, oh yes by the way, its fiction people! If you have a bee in your bonnet over this book, it is seriously time to let it go - enjoy the terrific writing and gifted storytelling, and don't try to make anything else out of it. And, seriously, if you're really angry about it, try not reading it. Life's too short and precious of a gift to get worked up over this.

Happy weekend....and GO MURRAYHILL LITTLE LEAGUE!!!!

No comments: