As noted in yesterday's entry, I was listening to the old folk song "Abraham, Martin, and John" as I was writing about the all-too-soon passing of my friend, the Reverend John Fischer. I have since learned some more details of his death, and the words of this song are simply haunting me today ~~~ "Seems the good they die young...".
John got up yesterday morning and rode the MAX to work in Hillsboro, just like any other normal day. At 8:00 a.m., a co-worker heard him fall and went in only to find him on the floor. CPR was started and the EMTs arrived, but it was too late. He had suffered a massive heart attack, and was already gone ~~~ "I just looked around and he's gone....".
But it has to be the bridge of that song that speaks to me the most today ~~~ "Didn't you love the things they stood for? Didn't they try to find some good for you and me? Yes, we'll be free ~~ someday soon. Its gonna happen one day...."
Abraham, Martin, and John...and Bobby, and, now, our John. Peace, social justice, fairness, equality, freedom...yeh, I love the things they stood for. And I pray that one day, soon, it will happen.
~~bg
No comments:
Post a Comment